National Party leader Christopher Luxon took aim at the Government’s “wasteful spending” after inflation hit a 30-year high of 5.9 per cent.
Consumer prices rose at the fastest pace since 1990, with inflation hitting 5.9 per cent at the end of 2021.
Figures from Statistics New Zealand released today show a further sharp lift in the cost of construction, petrol and rents pushed the consumer price index up 1.4 per cent in the final three months of the year.
The figures were roughly in line with expectations; a survey of economists forecasted inflation for 2022 would be 5.8 per cent.
The banks predicted 1.6% and it came in at 1.4% so why isn’t Adrian Orr doing a victory dance?
I believe it’s because he knows we simply dodged a bullet last quarter and that it is Q1 2022 when the shit hits the fan.
I argue it will be 10% by December.
- Russia launches an invasion of the Ukraine after the Winter Olympics while China simultaneously cracks down symbolically in Hong Kong or on Taiwan.
- Biden responds with enormous economic sanctions.
- Russia responds by giving Iran the last pieces they need for nuclear capability.
- Israel responds with a massive never before seen military strike on all Iranian nuclear assets which causes oil prices to explode and supply chains to freeze to a stand still.
- Inflation jumps to 10% in NZ.
When you weigh up the enormous threats to global security, you understand why Orr is silent.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media